Setting up Assembly Order management in Dynamics 365 Business Central involves:
- Firstly, open “Assembly Setup” page and fill in the “Number Series” fields accordingly.
- Create your first Assembly Item by changing the “Replenishment” system to “Assembly” and the “Assembly Policy” to “Assemble-to-stock”.
- In order to assign the sub-items to the BOM, click on “Assembly BOM” and add the items or resources required to make the Assembly Item.
- You can create a “Purchase Order” and purchase the Assembly Item you created directly and it will increment your inventory readings. However this will not consume the child (sub-items) in the related BOM for that item. In order to increase the Assembly Item inventory and decrease the related BOM items, you need to use the “Assembly Orders” page to create an “Assembly Order” and post it.
- When creating Assembly Orders you can include Items as well as Resources and Machines (a type of resource) based on hourly rates.
- Avoid using “non-inventory” items in BOM because combining Inventory and Non-inventory items on the BOM will be refused by the Assembly Order (an error can prevent you from creating an Assembly Order with a non-inventory Item). If you want to account for fees and charges and would like those tracked just like inventory items, using Resources might be an option (if Item Charges are not fit for your business use-case scenario that is).